Updates from November, 2016 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

• lv on November 19, 2016 Permalink | Reply  

MAYOR VERZOSA’S SUSPENSION 

Larry, did you come across and article dated Nov. 18, 2016 written in the Philippine Star about the suspension of Mayor June and Councilor Arthur Chua concerning their actions of not permitting quarrying in Tagudin despite the issuance of a permit by the provincial govt and the Environment Department?m It was supposed to be for 2 months. Have you heard any reactions to the suspensions from the “umili”.

• lv on December 11, 2016 Permalink | Reply

Hi Atty. I heard about it. I saw some supporters of the mayor in front of the munisipyo when I passed by it a few times but things have been pretty quiet in general. Hopefully everything will be resolved. The town needs the mayor. Here is the article from The Philippine Star.

The province maintains that stopping quarrying is beyond Mayor Verzosa’s powers as town mayor. Philstar.com/stock

VIGAN CITY, Philippines – Tagudin Mayor Roque Verzosa Jr. and Sangguniang Bayan member Arthur Chua were suspended by the 12-member Sangunniang Panlalawigan of Ilocos Sur for two months for refusing to acknowledge quarry permits issued by the Environment department and the provincial government.

Noreen Sibayan, Gemma Tiu, Joel Pastores and Provincial Environment Officer Raymund Sinay sought the officials’ suspension before the provincial board because they believed the town mayor and SB member committed grave misconduct, gross insubordination, abuse of authority and conduct unbecoming of public officials.

After the complaint was filed against the two, the Sangguniang Bayan of Tagudin issued a resolution directing an immediate halt to quarry operations along rivers in the town.

However, the provincial board turned down the resolution, seeing it as a move to get back at the complainants.

With a vote of 12-0, the Sangguniang Panlalawigan approved Resolution No. XVI Series of 2016 in July endorsing the suspension of the two, saying “there is a great probability that the continuance in office of the respondents could influence any witnesses or pose a threat to the safety and integrity of the records and other evidence, hence it merits suspension.”

Ilocos Sur Gov. Ryan Luis Singson ordered Mayor Verzosa and SB member Chua’s suspension Wednesday after receiving the recommendation of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan.

“Under the Local Government Code, it is the province that has the authority to cancel or revoke the quarry permits that have been legally issued and not the municipal mayor,” Gov. Singson said, adding Mayor Verzosa clearly abused his power by stopping quarry operations.

“It seems that they are bullying the provincial government, so we have to act on this in a legal forum to remind Mayor Verzosa the scope of his powers as local chief executive.”

• Atty. Romeo J. Somera, Esq. CPA on December 11, 2016 Permalink | Reply

My understanding was the lawyers of the mayor went to court for a TRO. Whether that was granted or not, I have no idea but it seems that things have quiet down since then. My understanding is that there was some kind of an agreement between the 3 agencies involved with the municipality. The problem it seems was that the permittee never cleaned their mess every time they do the digging, and that was not what has been agreed upon, i.e. clean up should be done by the permittee not the municipality.

• lv on December 22, 2016 Permalink | Reply

Thank you for the update attorney.

• Atty. Romeo J. Somera on December 23, 2016 Permalink | Reply

Here is some corrections on previous posting. The RTC decided in favor of the mayor and SB Chua. The mayor then filed a complaint with the Ombudsman against the governor and provincial board for abuse of authority.

• lv on November 17, 2016 Permalink | Reply  

The Philippine economy grew by 7.1% in the third quarter 

The Duterte Adminisration could be doing something right. That is a very respectable growth for the Philippines. I just hope that the momentum will be sustained. I think the Philippines started growing during the Arroyo Administration then maintained by the Aquino Adminisration. Good job Philippines. Hopefully this growth will trickle down all the way to the poorest of the poor.

PH economy grew 7.1% in first three months of Duterte admin
    By: Ben O. de Vera – @inquirerdotnetPhilippine Daily Inquirer / 10:12 AM November 17, 2016

The economy grew 7.1 percent during the first three months of the Duterte administration, the Philippine Statistics Authority reported Thursday.

The gross domestic product (GDP) growth in the third quarter was faster than the 7-percent expansion in the second quarter as well as the 6.2-percent growth in the third quarter of last year.

Article Source: The Philippine Daily Inquirer
    Read more: http://business.inquirer.net/219673/ph-economy-grew-7-1-in-1st-three-months-of-duterte-admin#ixzz4QFWkrsBf
    Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

• lv on November 16, 2016 Permalink | Reply  

SEASIDE 

In our last stay (Oct.28 & 29) at Seaside, we are very sorry we did not get to meet you when you visited us in our room. We were still at the “ili” when you dropped by. This is our 2nd stay at your facilities, and let me tell you, there seems to be a continuous changes/improvements for the better at Seaside. The staff are very courteous, caring and very well trained and extremely professional.. I won’t hesitate to recommend to our vacationing Tagudinians and other tourists that they seriously consider staying at your facilities. The rooms are quite comfortable, very clean and Seaside is quite accessible to the national highway. All I can say is that because of the very pleasant experience we had in our 2 previous stays, we will again, for sure, be staying at Seaside at the next go around. And before I forget, the price is quite reasonable (see the published rates) for the services and facility your guests will get.Thank you very much Larry. More power to you.

• lv on December 11, 2016 Permalink | Reply

Thank you for the nice compliment manong Romeo. The staffs were also very happy to see you and your brothers. Thank you kano diay tip da nga inted mo. You were very generous to them. You are welcome anytime at Seaside Park manong. Maybe next time I will get to see you and your brothers. Thank you again.

National Highway in Tagudin is being widened 

The National Highway going through Tagudin is being widened. The DPWH has an ongoing project to widen the National Highway in Northern Luzon. It has been going on for number of years now. From what I remember since I do use the highway for my trips between Tagudin and Manila, the widening in Northern Luzon started in Central Luzon around Tarlac and Pangasinan area. A lot of trees along the highway in Tarlac and Pangasinan were cut down to make way for the widening. Some groups of environmentalists tried to stop the cutting but they did not succeed. I do hope though that the additional lane will not be used for people’s parking, for drying grains, or for even building illegal structures. This is what is happening at the moment it seems like. With the worsening of traffic in the provinces, the government should be very strict that the additional lane will be used solely for vehicle traffic. It is not only for the improvement of the flow of traffic and faster travel but for the safety of all motorists and travelers using the highway. Since the expressways are expensive (roughly around P500 pesos toll from Urdaneta to Balintawak), the highway could also be a good option for motorists when traveling in Northern Luzon as long as it would be managed properly by the government.

The National Highway in Tagudin Being Widened

Tagudin Farm For Sale 

Attention Farm Lovers: a 22,329 sq. m. farm land is up for sale located in Tagudin, Ilocos Sur. Inclusive with 1 residential house, 3 bunkhouses, 3 eqpt. houses, 1 stack house, 1 goat house, 1 fishpond, 65 full grown mangoes, 3,000 Mahogany trees, 8 Sagat trees, 11 Narra trees, and various fruit bearing trees.

Any interested buyers who want to retire/live in Philippines or anyone out there who wants to own this farm property in in Tagudin should give their email address and phone numbers to the Administrator of this site – mails114-tagudinseasideadministrator@yahoo.com . The farm owner will contact you personally.

Naimbag nga aldaw.

Thank you.

• lv on November 8, 2016 Permalink | Reply  

Apo Lakay is finally going to buried at the Libingan Ng Mga Bayani 

I am sure many Ilocanos as well as the loyalists all over the Philippines are happy with this news. It is about time that this issue about where the late president will be buried is put to rest for once and for all. It has divided a lot of Filipinos for so long. It is time to move on.

The Late President Ferdinand E. Marcos

Article Source:The Philippine Daily Inquirer

SC OKs Marcos burial at Libingan
    By: Tetch Torres-Tupas / @T2TupasINQINQUIRER.net / 01:46 PM November 08, 2016

Supreme Court. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO

The Supreme Court has allowed the burial of former dictator Ferdinand Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani (LNMB).
    Voting 9-5, the high court dismissed the petition filed by human rights groups and victims of martial law.
    The nine justices were Associate Justices Arturo Brion, Presbitero Velasco Jr, Diosdado Peralta, Lucas Bersamin, Mariano del Castillo, Jose Perez, Teresita de Castro, Jose Mendoza, and Estela Perlas-Bernabe.

The five justices included Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno, together with Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio, and Associate Justices Marvic Leonen, Francis Jardaleza, and Caguioa.
    There were seven petitions that challenged the executive department’s decision to allow Marcos’ burial at LNMB. The petitions were filed by former Bayan Muna party-list Rep. Satur Ocampo, Albay Rep. Edcel Lagman and former Commission on Human Rights chair Etta Rosales; a group led by former senator Heherson Alvarez; a group of University of the Philippines students; and former Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao human rights chair Algamar Latiph and Senator Leila de Lima.
    The petitioners argued that the planned burial of the late dictator is “illegal and contrary to law, public policy, morals and justice” and that allowing the burial would violate Republic Act No. 289 (which provides that the purpose of the construction of a national pantheon is to perpetuate the memory of all the Presidents of the Philippines, national heroes and patriots for the inspiration and emulation of this generation and of generations still unborn and RA 10368 (Human Rights Victims Reparation and Recognition Act). RAM/rga

Read more: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/842094/sc-oks-marcos-burial-at-libingan#ixzz4POf8njSH
    Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

c
Compose new post
j
Next post/Next comment
k
Previous post/Previous comment
r
e
Edit
o
Show/Hide comments