Updates from August, 2016 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

• lv on August 25, 2016 Permalink | Reply  

TAGUDIN FLOODED? 

Larry, I came across some pictures in Facebook on Bitalag being flooded. There were conversations therein that Tagudin was flooded. Any news or pictures from your Tagudin sources?

I’ve heard of the flooding in Tagudin. Some parts of the town proper are also flooded. When I get news from the folks in Tagudin, I will post it here.

Somebody told me that the the highway in Libtong and at the front of the cemetery were flooded. The water came from the rice fields in the area.

• Atty. Romeo J. Somera, CPA on August 26, 2016 Permalink | Reply

There must have been a lot of rain. Dua can nga aldaw nga agtudtudo. My recollection is that the cemetery is a lot higher than the rice field close to it.

• lv on August 26, 2016 Permalink | Reply

I think you are right manong Romeo that the cemetery is higher than the rice field across it but I think the area that got flooded is the area where the highway is.

• lv on August 18, 2016 Permalink | Reply  

Philippines GDP grows 7% in Q2 2016 

The Philippines is the second fastest or the fastest growing economy in Asia at 7 percent in the second quarter of this year. Figures from India is not out yet. China grew by 6.7%. The Philippines also had a strong growth in the first quarter of the year at 6.8%.
    This is good news but for the majority of Filipinos, it might not mean anything to them since poverty is still prevalent all over the country. I do hope though that the growth will be sustained so eventually it will trickle down to the poor.

Aug. 18 — Philippine Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez discusses the strong second-quarter GDP figures, the country’s budget gap and his outlook for the economy. He speaks to Bloomberg’s Rishaad Salamat on “Trending Business.”
    Source: Bloomberg

• edf on August 24, 2016 Permalink | Reply

Even President Duterte himself acknowledged as he assumed office, that the Philippine economy is doing good. No buts or ifsā€¦ the fact is the economy has picked up steadily under the Aquino administration and hopefully the new government will be able to keep the momentum.

• lv on August 9, 2016 Permalink | Reply  

Congratulations to Hidilyn Diaz 

AP Photo

The Philippines broke the 20-year medal drought in the Olympics through weightlifter Hidilyn Diaz who won the silver medal in the 53kg women’s weightlifting class. Hidilyn is a soldier from the Philippine Air Force. The last time that the Philippines got a medal was in the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta from boxer Mansueto “Onyok” Velasco who also won a silver medal.
    Congratulations to Hidilyn and good luck to the other Filipino athletes competing in the Rio Olympics.

• lv on August 3, 2016 Permalink | Reply  

Las Vegas Chinatown 

Some of you might not know that Las Vegas has a Chinatown. During my free time while attending the Tagudin High School event in Las Vegas, I drove around to get the feel of the city and I found this area which is supposedly the Chinatown of Las Vegas. It is actually a shopping center that you would normally see in any other suburban city in the United States but it was built to look like a Chinatown. It is located at West Spring Mountain Road between Arville Street and South Wynn Road and a few blocks west of the strip. It is not as big as the Chinatowns of San Francisco, New York or Manila which is actually the oldest Chinatown in the world but though fairly new and small at one city block or so, at least Las Vegas can say it has its own Chinatown since most of the major cities in the world have a Chinatown or a Chinatown of some sort. Most of the establishments here are businesses from the Chinese community but while walking around I also saw Filipino, Thai, Vietnamese businesses and among others. I actually went to a Filipino restaurant and a karaoke joint here.

• Atty. Romeo J. Somera, CPA on August 4, 2016 Permalink | Reply

Larry, Chicago has also a fair size Chinatown. And there are several Asian business establishments, scattered within the city and suburbs. There is a Vietnamese town also situated on Broadway street. Maybe Paul Villanueva, Sr can make additions as to these establishments. BTW, the Filipino American Council of Chicago (one time the largest Fil-Am organization in the US). It’s 3 story building (i you include a fully functional basement (with a meeting hall, the 2nd one) that houses the Rizal Center, is by itself also a business establishment. It has an Assembly Hall (convertible to a dance hall), lecture rooms, game rooms and a fully stocked bar.

• lv on August 4, 2016 Permalink | Reply

Thank you manong Romeo for the info. I’ve never been to Chicago but I am sure there is a sizable number of Filipihos/Asians living in the Midwest particularly in the Chicago area. Is there a Tagudinian organization in the Midwest at this time? Just wondering.

• Atty. Romeo J. Somera, CPA on August 5, 2016 Permalink | Reply

There are around 700 Tagudinians by my last count in the greater Chicagoland area. I believe there are 3 Tagudinian organizations( in the Chicagoland area), and your Manong Paul Villanueva can provide details of them. My recollection is that, one is headed by Aloysius Valencia, the other in Northbrook , Illinois was organized by Engr. Pol Villanueva, and another one that escape me by name right now which was like Tagudinians of the Midwest. The first president was Lt. (jg-ret) Alfredo (Booker) Acosta from Malacanyang (Is that now barangay Rizal?or Del Pilar?). Quite a few Tagudinians there are also officers of other Filipino-American Organizations as well as Rotary and Lions Club. I was once the President and Chairman of the Board of the Filipino American Council of Chicago (FACC) and once the President of Maharlika Lions Club (a local Lions Chapter). I was also a Chairman of the Board of the Phil.CPAs of Greater Chicago, and at one time the Legal Counsel for the National Association of US and Canadian Filipino CPAs.

c
Compose new post
j
Next post/Next comment
k
Previous post/Previous comment
r
e
Edit
o
Show/Hide comments
t