Updates from January, 2016 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

• lv on January 27, 2016 Permalink | Reply  

NAIAEx Project 

A lot you who are living abroad know that going to the airport in Manila can be one of the most stressful part of your Philippine trip due to the heavy traffic occurring almost 24/7 in many areas in Metro Manila. Going to the Manila airport (NAIA) is always stressful for me that’s for sure. Don’t despair this elevated expressway project might make a big difference for you and for other travelers going to Manila. It would make the trip to the airport faster thus relieving some of your stress or our stress since I am included. I go to the airport way before my flight to make sure I’ll make my flight on time since anything can happen on your way to the airport or even while at the airport. I just don’t want to take chances. There would be a minimal toll fee but for me, I would rather pay the toll rather than being stuck for hours in traffic. Just remember though that when you take a taxi and you take this route, the taxi driver will not pay for the toll. You have to pay it. The expressway starts at Manila’s Skyway and ends at Diosdado Macapagal Blvd. in the area called Entertainment City which is supposedly the next Macau in Asia. The expressway is 7.2 km with on and off ramps to all the international terminals and Cavite Expressway. They said that the expressway will be opened this April but that could be postponed just like they do with the other Philippine projects.

• lv on January 26, 2016 Permalink | Reply  

Mely Martinez, RIP 

If you had lived in Tagudin during the late sixties to the eighties your probably know Nang Mely as one of the store owners at the old market in Tagudin. If I am not mistaken her store was right next to Nang Juana Ong’s hardware store. She was married to the late Oscar Martinez. Both Nang Mely and Tang Oscar were very successful in their business ventures. She was a good mother to all of her children who are also all successful in their chosen careers. Nang Mely lived at her house in Marikina’s GSIS Village across the house of her oldest son, Marlon the last years of her life.
    May you rest in peace Nang Mely.
    On behalf of SAS Class of 1978, we would like to express our deepest condolences to the entire Martinez family especially to our former classmate Marlon Martinez. Our thoughts and prayers are with you in your time of sorrow. God bless.

• lv on January 19, 2016 Permalink | Reply  

Designation of Amburayan River as a Water Quality Management Area 

Amburayan River bats for WQMA status

Tuesday, January 05, 2016
    By
    MARIA ELENA CATAJAN

LA TRINIDAD, Benguet – The Benguet Provincial Board, through Board Member Jim Botiwey, has filed a resolution to recommend to the Department of Environment and Natural Resources’ (DENR) Environmental Management Bureau the designation of the Amburayan River system as a Water Quality Management Area (WQMA).
    Botiwey, in the proposed resolution, said “the present state of the river requires protection and management actions by local government units and various stakeholders located within the watershed.”
    The Amburayan River and its tributaries and watershed include areas in the municipality of Tublay, Kapangan, Kibungan, Buguias, Bakun and Atok, all in the province of Benguet and traverses the provinces of La Union and Ilocos Sur and drain to the Western Philippine Sea detailing its direct and long term impact on the socio economic and ecological well being of individuals, communities, businesses, agriculture and stakeholders within the river system.
    When the river is declared a WQMA, caring for it will become a collective community activity.
    Local government units (LGUs) will share responsibility in the management and improvement of water quality within territorial jurisdiction and participate in the process of designating a WQMA.
    The river’s headwaters are a confluence of smaller creeks along the south of barangay Lubo, in Kibungan. Several other tributary creeks merge with the river as it flows along Atok and Kapangan. It then flows along the Sugpon-San Gabriel border, the Sugpon-Santol border, the Sugpon-Sudipen border, the Sudipen-Alilem border, the Sudipen-Tagudin border, and finally at the Tagudin-Bangar border, where its river mouth is located.
    In 2014, the Jaime V. Ongpin Foundation Inc. (JVOFI) with Benguet governor Nestor Fongwan, representatives from Ilocos Sur and La Union held formal signing of the Amburayan River project.
    The agreement signifies the formal partnership supported by the project entitled “Protecting and Defending the Amburayan River Basin and Watershed through Good Governance and Active Indigenous People’s Participation.”
    The project stretches to a 3-year plan implemented by JVOFI and funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) in the Philippines through the Philippine American Fund, a project implemented by the Gerry Roxas Foundation.
    The Amburayan River has been more popularly attributed in the In an Ilocano epic, Biag ni Lam-ang, where the hero, Lam-ang, soaked in dirt and blood after a battle with the headhunters, came to bathe in the river.
    Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on January 06, 2016.

Article Source: Sunstar

• lv on January 14, 2016 Permalink | Reply  

Lechon 

Photo Credit: Google Plus

In the United States, turkey is the main dish on occasions during holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas but in the Philippines, they have lechon. Filipinos usually have lechon for their Christmas and New Year’s eve dinners for those who can afford since it is an expensive dish in the PhiIippines. Other than Christmas and New Year, lechon is also served during big occasions such as weddings, fiestas, and so forth. These days, even the Filipino communities abroad also now serve lechon during their events and gatherings. An event is not complete without a lechon as they say. Similar to cooking turkey, lechon is roasted with stuffing for a few hours but the difference is it is roasted skewered on a stick or rod over a charcoal similar to a rotisserie chicken and it is usually cooked outdoors.

Lechon which means roasted suckling pig in Spanish is the national dish of the Philippines. It is one of the many dishes that was inherited by the Filipinos from the Spaniards who colonized the Philippines for over 300 years. Actually, though it might be in a different variation, lechon is also a dish that you can have in many other countries that used to be under Spain.

In the Philippines, lechon is readily available anytime almost anywhere during the year especially in places like Cebu and La Loma in Quezon City where lechon is their main business. In the provinces, sometimes you don’t even need to go anywhere for someone in the neighborhood might be selling lechon usually from the pig that the person cared and fed for so many months. In Ilocano, the act of selling meat either pork or beef in the neighborhood is called “agpa-uraga” for those who are not Ilocanos out there. Raising a pig or pigs at home is actually a livelihood for a lot of folks in the provinces. They say that Cebu makes the best lechon in the Philippines but if you live in Manila, lechon in La Loma is also good. They actually sell all kinds of lechons including lechons cooked in Cebu style. Depending on the size, the price ranges from 3000 to 10,000 pesos or more. A lot of the lechon vendors also do home delivery If you cannot do a pick up. They charge around 300 or 400 pesos depending on where you live in the Metro. I should know because our batch ordered lechon from a place in La Loma for our get together in Marikina over the holidays. I could say that the lechon that was delivered to us was very good. It was very crispy and tasty. It came with lots of salsa or sarsa. Sometimes, the lechon comes with the internal organs of the pig or with a free dish such “dinuguan” so shop around for the best vendor that could offer these for you with your lechon. You can actually find lechon vendors all over Metro Manila but the easiest way in finding a vendor is by walking around La Loma in Quezon City. You could browse the internet as well.

Having lechon during holiday and special occasion dinners is a nice tradition. However, keep in mind that lechon is also hign in fat and cholesterol so as in many other things in life, make sure to eat lechon in moderation to be on the safe side. Other than that, lechon is a great dish and everyone loves it in the Philippines. Hope everybody has fully recovered from the holiday binge. Have a happy and healthy new year.

Here are nice travel and food videos from a blogger Mark Wien. You can find his blog at http://migrationology.com/ and his videos at youtube. He does food and travel videos for Southeast Asia. Perhaps these videos could inspire you to go back home to the PI for a vacation. The following videos are his videos from his trip to the Philippines. He featured the food that he tried in the country with special highlight of the lechon dish.

Here is another video from youtube on how to cook a lechon.

• lv on January 3, 2016 Permalink | Reply  

Pinoy Jukebox Music from the 1970’s 

Happy New Year everyone.

I have some people requesting songs from the 1970’s that I played here before at the blog so to start the new year I am bringing back the music you requested from the 1970’s for your listening enjoyment. They can be played at playlist which is located at the right hand side of the blog.

A lot of the songs are actually remakes from the 1950’s and 1960’s and were brought back and popularized in the 1970’s by various Filipino artists/singers such as Victor Wood, Eddie Peregrina, Nora Aunor, and many others who are known to be the undisputed Jukebox Kings and Queens for that era in the Philippines.

It might be a little cheesy to some but I know a lot of you especially the folks from the Martial Law Years would enjoy this music for it brings back a lot of memories from that era. These were the songs that you would hear in bars, weddings, fiestas and all the neighborhoods all over the country during that time. Though I was very young, I am thankful that I got to experience life in the 1970’s that includes the different kind of music that came out back then. Actually these songs are still being played in the Philippines particularly in videoke/karaoke joints and they are still as popular as ever.

No madeng-dengngeg tayo dagitoy nga kankansiyon ket makapa-lagip dagiti salaan idi nga uray naka tsinelas dagitay agsala naragsak latta hehehe. Those were the days.

I hope you enjoy the music. This music is for all of you especially to SAS Batch of 1978.

c
Compose new post
j
Next post/Next comment
k
Previous post/Previous comment
r
e
Edit
o
Show/Hide comments
t