Updates from October, 2015 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

• lv on October 31, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

Playlist – Cha Cha Medley 

I’ve just placed a new set of music for your listening enjoyment. The holiday season is coming up again and I know lots of events are scheduled for the different Tagudinian organizations out there so here are some cha cha medleys for you so you can practice on your cha chas. Oldies nga cha cha daytoy ta ammok nga adu iti mahilig iti oldies dita. No maypanggep iti salaan, saan a kumpleto ti event no awan ti cha cha music na. Saan kadi apo? Ala ket ag-praktis kayo ngarud apo tapno lalo nga humanga dagita agbuyan to kadakayo idiay salaan. Enjoy!

Dagitay padak nga saan na pay la kabisado iti ag-chacha, here is how to do it:

Basic Cha Cha

• lv on October 27, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

All Souls Day 2015 

Have a Good All Souls Day and Happy Halloween everyone.

at the Tagudin Cemetery

at the Tagudin Cemetery

Do not stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there. I do not sleep.
    I am a thousand winds that blow.
    I am the diamond glints on snow.
    I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
    I am the gentle autumn rain.
    When you awaken in the morning’s hush
    I am the swift uplifting rush
    Of quiet birds in circled flight.
    I am the soft stars that shine at night.
    Do not stand at my grave and cry;
    I am not there. I did not die.

Mary Elizabeth Frye

• Paul on October 31, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Last time I saw Tagudin was in 1968, but when I became Tagudinian President in Chicago 1980’s we collected more or about a ($1000) dollars. to build a shade for this Tagudin cemetery. I am just wondering if the Shade Center is still there. That was supervised by the Laguardia Family in Skokie, Illinois.

• lv on November 3, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi Manong Paul, there are two waiting sheds that I saw in front of the cemetery but I think those sheds were built probably after the 80’s. There was probably another waiting shed there but had to be taken down to give way for the concreting of the area at the main entrance in front of the cemetery by the highway. That area was paved a few years ago. I am sure the folks in Tagudin are very grateful for the donation that the Tagudinians of Chicago gave to the town of Tagudin for that project, and I hope that all of the Tagudinians organizations out there not only the Tagudinians in the Midwest but from all over the world will continue to be committed in giving help to our hometown of Tagudin through projects and financial assistance to our less fortunate kababayans. Thumbs up to you and the Tagudinians of Chicago in the 1980s. God bless to all Tagudinians and Tagudinians organizations out there.

• Atty. Romeo J. Somera on November 4, 2015 Permalink | Reply

No adda pay la di shed diay abay ti salamagui (assuming the salamagui is still there), that was the shed built out of that money.

• lv on October 18, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

TASC Pre-Christmas Party and Induction of Officers for 2016-2017 

Hello to All,

Our TASC Pre-Christmas Party and Induction of New Officers for 2016-2017 is on Saturday, 28th of November 2015. We look forward for your great attendance and participation.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT TO TASC.

FYI——No Dinner Tickets will be mailed. Please call the contact persons in the TASC flyer for your RSVP.

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,
    Rossana

Posted by the Blog Admin for Rossana S. Lirio (President of the Tagudinians Assoc. of Southern California)

• lv on October 18, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Just a minor typo – that should be Vita Dauz Tabilin instead of Vita Fauz Tabilin. Have a great time Tagudinian Assoc. of Southern California! Nasiyaat man apo ta adda pasala manen. Sigurado man ngarud nga ag-enjoy manen dagitay kailian tayo dita So Cal. Congratulations to the new officers. Thumbs up!

• lv on October 13, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

Rondalla 

In celebration of Filipino-American History in the United States this month of October, I would like to present to you samples of Rondalla Music especially to the younger generation of Fil-Ams out there who are not familiar with this music. Rondalla is an ensemble of string instruments played by a group of musicians. One of the instruments used in Rondalla is called bandurria. It is similar to mandolin and it has 14 strings.This music was brought to the Philippines by the Spaniards and it became part of the Filipino culture. Along with zarzuela (musical comedy), Rondalla used to be played all over the country particularly during events and celebrations such as fiestas. Unfortunately, interests in Rondalla music and zarzuela have been declining through the decades in the Philippines. This is part of our cultural heritage. We should make an effort to preserve it before we lose it forever.

A group of musicians playing Rondalla music in Loboc, Bohol

Saan Ka Man Naroroon Sinta

Ilocana A Nasudi

Sarung Banggi

• lv on October 12, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

Bongbong Marcos 

How about Bongbong Marcos for President?

Duterte is not running, Grace Poe will be more likely to be disqualified and Binay is going down because of the corruption issues so why not Bongbong for President. I think he will give Mar Roxas a good fight and he has a good chance that he can win the presidency in 2016. He has declared his candidacy for vice-president but nothing has been filed yet at COMELEC. I think he should give it a try for the presidency. He and his group have until the end of the day on Oct. 16, a few days from now to file his candidacy.

With the candidacy of the other candidates in jeopardy, it is beginning to look more like Roxas to be the next president which you know it would be just the continuation of President Aquino’s “Daang Matuwid” unless someone would emerge to challenge Mar Roxas. I believe Duterte is the person who can beat Roxas but that is not going to happen since he is no longer running for the presidency but I think Marcos can be a good substitute for Duterte and can possibly beat Roxas as well. The opposition has a better chance of taking back Malacanang if they would rally behind Bongbong. There is no way the opposition could win this thing so long as Binay is the candidate. Binay can no longer repair the damage done by the corruption issue that is being tagged to him by the Liberal Party. Bongbong already has the backing of some of the opposition’s heavy weights like Estrada and Enrile so what are they waiting for? Otherwise, the 2016 election would just be another boring election.

With the unexpected announcement of SENATOR MIRIAM SANTIAGO that she is running for the presidency in the 2016 election, perhaps it is okay for Bongbong to stay as candidate for the vice-presidency. Who knows Miriam might even decide to choose Bongbong to be her running mate. Now this is getting exciting.

Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr filed his certificate of candicacy for vice president of the Philippines on Tuesday, October 13, at the Commission on Election (Comelec) headquarters in Intramuros, Manila.

• Atty. Romeo J. Somera, Esq.,CPA on October 15, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Here are possible scenarios that could happen if Bongbong is fated to become President. Poe will win and Bonbong too. Poe is disqualified after taking her oath of office. The tandem officially now is Miraim-Bongbong. M&M, how sweet it is. MIRIAMAR? Sounds like the Beach Resort in Buaung. SABONG? That is the Pinoy Sunday past time. SAMAR? With the solid north, capped by the Visayan votes(The Negroses and the Panay Islands (Miriam is from Iloilo-kaawawang Roxas from Capiz but he was born in metro manila). Back to the scenario. Not that I am wishing ill to anybody specially Miriam but if M&M tandem will win, Bongbong could become president also. On the other hand with the intervention of you know who, candidate Lucifer Arcanghel might slip through (LOL).

• botante on October 16, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Nin sa la Lucifer Arcanghel laengen para presidente, awan met napintas nga pagpilian hehehe.

• Atty. Romeo J. Somera, Esq.,CPA on October 20, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Cadaguidiay 130 nga nagfile ti candidatura da nga para presidente, aside from Argcanghel Lucifer, nga mi nando kano ni “s . . .nas”, tallo kano ti imbaon ti Apo nga kumandidato. Ala ket kitaenta yo no sino cadaguidiay tallo ti agul-ulbod ta mabalin nga maysa laeng ti natudian kaniada. Bumabanto taguitay angeles ta umay da ikkan ti leksiyon daguidiay dua. Ti rigat na, uray no imbaon isuda ti apo, awan laban da no agandar diay hocos-pcos.

• Atty. Romeo J. Somera, Esq.,CPA on October 28, 2015 Permalink | Reply

A 3rd scenario is that Binay and Bongbong will win and before Binay can take his oath, he is indicted for plunder. Now FYI, somebody sent to me via FB, the following:
        *******************************************************************************************************
        NOSTRADAMUS Prediction; “By the sixteenth year after the New Millennium of the Twenty First Century (2000-2016) a new leader shall rule the Pearl of the Orient Island in Asia (Philippines) his name has eight letters beginning as the second letter of the alphabet (That’s letter – “B” for Bongbong) This man shall change the history of the whole world and every man shall shout his name twice like the sound of a big Bell (“BONG-BONG”) “.
        *******************************************************************************************************. Could this prediction some sort of validation to my scenarios? And why no Roxas scenario? Because he can’t win. One problem in the prediction is that Bongbong real name is Ferdinand R. Marcos, Jr. Though he is popularly known as Bongbong, if he wins, he’ll take his oath with his real true name. and not his “birngas”. On the other hand, he can say” I, Ferdinand “Bongbong” Romualdez Marcos, Jr . . . .”

• Atty. Romeo J. Somera on November 9, 2015 Permalink | Reply

I am wondering why Poe rejected the offer of a DNA test from Bongbong. It only heighten the mystery of whether or not she is Ferdinand’s daughter from Rosemarie. Is there a fear on her that such could be true? Or does she know something revealed to her by Susan or Rosemarie? Though she has some facial resemblance to Susan and Rosemarie, that wouldn’t mean anything. It would be nice for her to have DNA test with Bongbong and resolved that “rumor” once and for all. Bongbong seems so positive there will be no match. Does he know something too? I think so. Now, if there is a match, the Philippines can be under a Marcos for a very long time. Grace-6 years, Bongbong, 6 years and probably Bongbong’s son for another 6 years (he is pruning for Congress). It could be longer if the Constitution is change to a 4 year term with re-election during any of their terms. Wow!. What a scenario. Could it happy? Only the future will tell. What do you folks think?. Some sort of a fairy tale; pigment of the imagination?

• lv on October 12, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

WILLIAM SUPNET LARDIZABAL, RIP 

Hello everyone,

We bid farewell to our beloved friend, relative and townmate, WILLIAM SUPNET LARDIZABAL who joined Our Lord God Creator on October 5, 2015.

Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers.

Our sincere and heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family.

INTERMENT SCHEDULE
    PLACE: FOREST LAWN – GLENDALE
    1712 SOUTH GLENDALE AVENUE
    GLENDALE, CA 91205
    1-800-204-3131 EXT. 4635

VISITATION LOCATION
    FOREST LAWN – GLENDALE
    FRIDAY, OCTOBER 23, 2015
    10:00AM – 9:00PM (MAIN BUILDING)

FUNERAL SERVICE
    FOREST LAWN – GLENDALE
    SATURDAY, OCTOBER 24, 2015
    9:30AM

CHURCH OF THE RECESSIONAL

Thank you and Sincerely,
    Rossana

Posted by the Blog Admin for Rossana S. Lirio (President of The Tagudinians Assoc. of Southern California)

• lv on October 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

Fil-Am History Month in San Francisco, CA 

Here is an event that you might like to go and check out for those kababayans who live in the San Francisco Bay Area. It is a free event!

Source:The Philippine Daily Inquirer

SF Asian Art Museum Fil-Am History Month fete starts Oct. 4
    @inquirerdotnet
    INQUIRER.net U.S. Bureau
    01:48 AM October 2nd, 2015

Early Filipino immigrants to Vallejo, California. FAHNS PHOTO

SAN FRANCISCO – With October comes the anticipation of Halloween, Columbus Day holiday for some and Oktoberfest for others. For Filipino Americans, October is the month to celebrate their heritage and look back to the history of their coming to America.

The Filipino community will hold a conversation on the Filipino experience in America in “Ugnayan Lahi: Weaving a Cultural Tapestry,” a celebration of Filipino American History Month on Sunday, October 4, at the Asian Art Museum on 200 Larkin Street, 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

When one thinks of Filipino American history, one often looks at it in terms of waves of immigration to the U.S. The more common way of looking at this immigration pattern is the recognition of the three waves that include the farm workers, the veterans and the professionals like nurses, teachers, and medical personnel.

Another viewpoint looks at four waves: 1) those who came to North America when the country was under Spanish rule via the Manila galleons, 2) the Manongs or the farmers who came when the Philippines was under American regime when there was no restriction in immigration for Filipinos, 3) The Filipinos who fought side by side with Americans during World War II who were given the option of being US citizens, and 4) the educated Filipinos who came to fill the shortage of professionals in education and medical jobs in the U.S.

Dr. Dawn Mabalon, history professor and author, interprets this pattern as comprising of seven waves:

The Seafarers, Slaves and Shipbuilders during Spanish Colonial period
    1906-1934: Pensionadas sent to study in the US
    The Pinoy and Pinay Pioneers: Sakadas, Students, Workers, and Adventurers
    1934-1946: The Exclusion Period, War, and the Second Generation
    1946-1965: Post War Changes and Navy Families
    1965-1986: Post-1965 Immigrants
    1986-Present: Filipinos in the Diaspora
    Wave after wave of Filipino immigrants brought with them their native music, delicate fabrics, dances of many influences, art, literature, theater forms and cuisine. Through time, Filipinos have woven these facets of their own culture into the larger fabric of American life and created their own unique tapestry they can proudly call their own.

Admission is FREE.

Program for the Day
    Opening Ceremony

11 AM–12 p.m., Samsung Hall
    Messages from Philippine Consul General Henry Bensurto, Jr., Jay Xu, director of the Asian Art Museum, and Major General Antonio Taguba, AARP community ambassador. Concluding the ceremony is folk and blues music by community leaders Vangie Buell and Terry Bautista.
    Isang Himig A Capella
    12–2 p.m., throughout the museum
    You’ll find the group singing throughout the museum, bringing music to typically quiet spaces.
    Artist Demonstration and Hands-on Activities
    12–4 p.m., North Court
    Watch artists Kristian Kabuay and Lane Wilcken create magic with words as they demonstrate Babayin calligraphy, the ancient native writing system of the Philippines.

Rondalla Music
    2–2:30 & 3–3:30 p.m., North Court
    Be immersed in the vibrant sounds of the rondalla, a stringed instrument ensemble brought to the Philippines during Spanish colonization that evolved into a distinctive style.

YouTube Showcase of Local Filipino Music Videos
    12:30–1:30 and 3:30–4 p.m., Samsung Hall
    Lawyer and musician Kae Hope Echiverri Ranoa (aka “Hopie”) curates a YouTube playlist of local, contemporary Filipino music videos.
    Panel Discussion: Community Organizing through the Generations
    2–3 p.m., Samsung Hall
    Learn about Filipino American history from the 1700s to the present day through a presentation and panel discussion by James Sobredo, Terry Bautista and Vicky Santos as they talk about activism in the mid-20th century and hip-hop artist Mario de Mira (aka Nomi”) delves into the contemporary scene.
    Table Presentations
    11 AM–4 p.m., Loggia
    Topics include 100 years of Filipino American history, the West Bay Pilipino Multi-Service Center, the “How My Family Came to America” essay project and more.
    Filipino Arts Storytelling Tours
    10:30 AM, 1 and 3 p.m.
    Meet at the information desk
    Docent Tours: Filipino Arts
    11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
    Meet at the information desk
    Gallery Talk: The Art of Piña Cloth
    12:30–1 and 3:30–4 p.m., Resource Center
    Explore the exquisite tradition of piña, a unique fabric woven from pineapple fibers. Fashion designer and activist Patis Tesoro and editor Edwin Lozada discuss Piña: An Enduring Philippine Fabric.

Like us on Facebook

• lv on October 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Nice that they included Rondalla Music in their repertoire. That alone makes this event worth seeing. Thumbs up!

c
Compose new post
j
Next post/Next comment
k
Previous post/Previous comment
r
e
Edit
o
Show/Hide comments
t