Updates from July, 2015 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

• lv on July 28, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

MISSING – VICENTE J. SOMERA 

VICENTE J. SOMERA, 51 years old

Kung sino man po ang nakakakita o nakakita kay Uncle Vincent pakipaalam lang po sa Borcio Mami Hauz, Magsaysay Tagudin Ilocos Sur. Paki text o tawag na lang po sa number na ito:
    09489604315 / 09053080878.

Thank you.
    Crisante Mon S. Cuaresma

Posted by the Blog Adm for C. Cuaresma and Atty. Romeo Somera
    Vincent has been missing for three weeks now. Vincent is the youngest brother of Atty. Romeo Somera.

• Atty. Romeo J. Somera, Esq.,CPA on July 29, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Ee(n)tee come home!. Ee(n)tee, call home!.

• Apolonio L. Villanueva III on July 30, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Padre Romeo,
      I hope and pray that Viceinte is safe somewhere and nothing harmful happened to him. I could just imagine the family concern and anxiety that you’re prevailing. Be steadfast in your faith my friend!

Polon

• Atty. Romeo J. Somera, Esq.,CPA on July 30, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Padre Pol, speculations abound. I am in constant contact with folks in Tagudin. There are rumors that he was seen in Bitalag but so far that didn’t seem to pan out. I sought the help of Mayor Pepito and there is a dedicated police officer in the case. Thanks for the caring and concern Padre. We are hoping for the best and Larry, thank you very much.

• lv on July 30, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Our kababayans, let us pray that Entee will be back home safe and well to his family. Manong Romeo, sorry to hear that your brother is missing.

• Atty. Romeo J. Somera, Esq.,CPA on July 30, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Larry, I hope that his disappearance is just one of his habit of going on a lark, not telling anybody where he is, where he went. On previous episodes, susulpot na lang siya. But we are beginning to be worried because it is more than 3 weeks now and no information about him nor any communications from him. Prayers are known to have positive effects on easing miseries and I hope that it has also the same result as here for Entee’s sake. Thanks Everyone.

• Atty. Romeo J. Somera, Esq.,CPA on August 3, 2015 Permalink | Reply

There will be a generous reward for any information leading to the whereabouts of Vicente.

• Atty. Romeo J. Somera, Esq.,CPA on August 4, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Larry,

I understand that Vicente is at my niece’s place in Tagudin. I have yet to verify but it seems positive. If it is true I would like to thank everybody for their attention, care and prayers

• Atty. Romeo J. Somera, Esq.,CPA on August 4, 2015 Permalink | Reply

He “resurrected ” himself and now at my nieces’ place in Quirino, Tagudin. Thanks, Everyone.

• lv on July 27, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

Why Vigan was chosen as New 7 Wonders Cities and one of UNESCO's World Heritage Sites 

Article Courtesy of The Philippine Daily Inquirer

http://lifestyle.inquirer.net/201452/why-vigan-won-as-one-of-new-7-wonders-cities/

Why Vigan won as one of New 7 Wonders Cities
    By: Constatino C. Tejero
    Philippine Daily Inquirer
    12:35 AM July 27th, 2015

VIGAN is officially declared by New 7 Wonders founder Bernard Weber, with Vice President Jejomar Binay, Sen. Cynthia Villar and Mayor Eva Marie S. Medina. PHOTOS COURTESY OF ARTSTREAM HOSPITALITY MANAGEMENT GROUP.

THE UNITED Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization has just released its latest batch of World Heritage (WH) sites—24 cultural properties, 2 natural, 1 mixed. These range from the controversial (the Alamo; the Meiji Industrial Revolution sites) to the long-overdue (Ephesus).

France, Iran, Denmark and Turkey lead with two sites each. The United States, China, Japan and the United Kingdom have one each. Russia has none.

The “politicization” of the listing as well as the effects of tourism resulting from the designation are being decried in some quarters. After all, these are supposed to be “the world’s most precious landscapes.”

In 1989, Vigan’s bid for WH inscription was rejected as, reportedly, “it couldn’t compare with other Spanish colonial cities like Cartagena in Colombia and Trinidad in Cuba.”

(Some point out Vigan isn’t like any Spanish colonial town in Latin America since it also has strong Chinese and Filipino influences, thus “should actually be compared with other Asian colonial trading cities like Hoi An, Malacca and Macau.”)

Unique fusion

“Born on the Fourth of July,” the Oscar-nominated Oliver Stone movie starring Tom Cruise shot here and released that year, was the first to bring Vigan to international attention, particularly the half-kilometer Calle Crisologo, the nerve center of the heritage district.
    “TRIBUTE to Hotel Luna,” an interactive painting by National Artist BenCab, Rene Robles, Romulo Galicano, Demetrio de la Cruz, Fidel Sarmiento, Cid Reyes, Fred Baldemor and Grace Singson.

“TRIBUTE to Hotel Luna,” an interactive painting by National Artist BenCab, Rene Robles, Romulo Galicano, Demetrio de la Cruz, Fidel Sarmiento, Cid Reyes, Fred Baldemor and Grace Singson.

It took a full decade before Unesco relented and gave the Ilocos Sur capital the WH inscription, recognizing that “it represents a unique fusion of Asian building design and construction with European colonial architecture and planning”; and “it is an exceptionally intact and well-preserved example of a European trading town in East and Southeast Asia.”

(It took longer for the ancient Greco-Roman city of Ephesus in Turkey, site of the Temple of Artemis, one of the original 7 Wonders of the World. It first attempted for the inscription in 1993 and got it after 22 years.)

And it took over three decades before the whole world paid proper attention and gave Vigan full recognition, when it was also declared one of the New 7 Wonders Cities on Dec. 7 last year.

• lv on July 25, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

Guyabano Leaves 

Good Old Guyabano Leaves Bought at Quiapo, Manila

I go to the Quiapo Market because their fruits and vegetables are always fresh and cheaper than in the other markets in Manila and they also sell herbs. One time while I was shopping around there last year, I had a little bit of a stomach ache and when I saw the guyabano leaves being sold by one of the vendors around the church vicinity, those times when my grandparents used to have us drink guyabano tea when we (my siblings and I) had stomach aches during my childhood came to my mind, so without any hesitation I bought a bunch hoping that it could help with my stomach ache like it did many times in the past when I was growing up. A bunch of guyabano leaves costs around 20 pesos in Quiapo. Soon as I got home, I boiled some of the leaves with water enough to make a few cups. One bunch could actually make a big pot of tea which you could put in the refrigerator for few days consumption. A few moments later after drinking the tea, my stomach was much calmer. I was happy to know that the natural remedy that I learned from my grandparents was still effective. Prior to this experience, I had actually already heard a lot of good things about guyabano leaves from the folks in Tagudin. They claim that guyabano leaves could lower cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood sugar and it could also help for losing weight if taken on a daily basis, and this explains why drinking guyabano tea became some sort of a trend lately among the folks in Tagudin and also in other parts of the country. The taste is actually not that bad. It is very mild and tolerable. Be sure though to consult with your doctor before taking any herbs which include guyabano leaves especially if you plan to take them for a long period of time on a daily basis. In the Philippines especially in the provinces, guyabano leaves along with guava leaves are also being used as wound disinfectant. Both Guyabano and guava leaves are considered medicinal herbs in the Philippines and when it comes to the health benefits, the fruits of both guyabano and guava are just as beneficial as the leaves because they are loaded with antioxidants and vitamins particularly vitamin C. Guyabano is also called graviola or soursop in the United States and other countries. It is called bayyabana in Ilocano. Guyabano and guava trees are two of the most common fruit trees that are in everybody’s backyard in Tagudin.

• lv on July 25, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Maysa pay gayam nga usar na ket dayta ken dagiti dadduma nga bulbulong kas bayyabas ken atis iti iyaprus da ken pagsaplit saplit da kenka no ma-am-amlingan ka hehehe.

• lv on July 18, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

Bongbong Marcos for the President of the Republic of the Philippines? 

Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” R. Marcos, Jr.
    Photo courtesy of Wikipedia

Less than a year from now, the Philippines will be electing another president who would lead the country for the next six years. The political parties are now in the process of selecting their candidates who could best represent their parties, and there is no doubt that election frenzy in the Philippines have started even though the filing of candidacy is not until October of this year. Unfortunately, the people do not have much to choose from among the candidates who are aspiring to be the next president of the Philippine and the sad thing is these candidates for the May 2016 Elections are the same type of politicians that Filipinos have traditionally elected in the past and I believe this is one of the main reasons why the country is where it is today – still poor. Filipino voters just vote for anybody who is popular even if that anybody does not have the capacity to lead. They love to vote for their movie idols and sadly a lot of Filipinos are also willing to sell their votes for a small amount of money or gifts. Let us just hope that voters will be smarter when voting and more willing to do some sacrifices for the sake of the country and the people this time around otherwise the country will never get out of the cycle we call cycle of poverty.

Some of the aspirants rumored or who have declared their intentions to run for the presidency so far are Senator Grace Poe-Llamanzares, Vice President Jejomar Binay, DILG Secretary Mar Roxas, Davao Mayor Rodrigo Duterte, Senator Alan Peter Cayetano and Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” R. Marcos Jr. From the recent trends in the different surveys, these are the current front runners but the question is are these candidates good or worthy enough to be the next president of a country that is facing a lot of serious problems? A lot of people are nervous and more and more people are actually starting to get uneasy with the choices of candidates for the May 2016 Presidential Elections due to the issues (corruption, incompetency, not enough experience, being a trapo or traditional politician, not meeting citizenship and residency requirements, etc.) that are being attached to some of these candidates.

I see these candidates all the time on the various media such as the internet and television but the one who is the most quiet and seems to be the calmest of all the candidates is Senator Bongbong Marcos but being quiet does not mean he is not knowledgeable and that he is the least qualified. When he gets a chance to say something in public, his speech most of the time makes sense and it has substance. If you ask me, he is actually the most presidentiable among the current candidates with the way he is presenting himself lately as a very competent lawmaker. Bongbong has been in the public service for a long time starting in 1980 as a vice governor until the present time as a senator. He was a vice governor, governor twice, a congressman and a senator. He undoubtedly does have a lot of experience behind him. People are happy and contented for what he did to his home province of Ilocos Norte and the works he does in the Senate. I believe his only waterloo is the fact that he is the son of the late dictator President Ferdinand Marcos, Sr. and Imelda Marcos. People still have hang-ups about the things that happened in the country during his parent’s administration but I hope people would realize that Bongbong has nothing to do with it. I do hope that he will consider running for the presidency or vice presidency. Though there would be a stiff competition from the other candidates, he has a good chance of winning any of the two highest positions in the land especially with the overwhelming support of the Ilocanos from the Solid North, the different parts of the country and overseas.

• Atty. Romeo J. Somera, Esq.,CPA on July 18, 2015 Permalink | Reply

The sins of the father, if there were, are not of the son. Bongbong is eminently qualified to be the President of the Philippines. Experience, education, managerial and administrative abilities if compared to all the names mentioned, none of whom could come close to Bongbong. In my opinion, only the narrowest of minds and/or stupid wouldn’t vote for him just because of his last name. Some argue that apples can’t bear orange fruits but such an argument is like comparing apples to oranges. In my book there are 3 excellently qualified presidentiables: Bongbong, Gibo Teodoro (Isabela/Tarlac), and Gordon [(Zambales/Subic/Red Cross)-all of them are Ilocanos]. But will any of them run?

• Carl Navarate on July 23, 2015 Permalink | Reply

i completely agree with you attorney. But for the benefit of the country, let’s make effort to influence those small-minded people. It’s hard but there’s always a way and if we persevere, then perhaps the country might be saved. #BBM2016

• lv on July 12, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

Homeless boy doing his homework on the street in PI 

A homeless boy doing his school homework on the street using the light coming from a McDonald restaurant somewhere in Cebu City
    Photo Credit goes to the owner of the photo

Just want to share this very inspiring photo that I came across while browsing the net. This kid is determined to do his homework regardless of his circumstances. In the richer countries, a lot of kids have everything and education is being given or offered to them on a silver platter but sadly many of these kids do not show much enthusiasms. Oftentimes, it takes a lot of help from the parents and the educators in order for these kids to get interested. There are actually a lot of kids just like that kid in the photo in the Philippines. With worn out flip flop sandals and sometimes even barefoot, many of these kids have to walk many miles, brave gushing rivers and the scorching sun just to make it to school. I hope that this photo inspires our more financially endowed kababayans abroad to help these kids back home. I do admire all the different organizations in the Tagudinian community (SASAI, SASAA and among others), groups and individuals out there who have been very active in helping the kids with their schooling through scholarships and other grants. I know that the different batches from both Tagudin High School and St. Augustine’s School have also been very active in giving help. Mabuhay to all and God bless.

• Atty. Romeo J. Somera, Esq.,CPA on July 18, 2015 Permalink | Reply

I am sure Larry, all Tagudinians that are abroad have in their mind the welfare of our town and would gladly help in whatsoever manner, if the opportunity arises. That’s my perception of Tagudinians. Thanks Larry.

• lv on July 10, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

Playlist 

Hello everyone, I put together some nice easy listening music for your listening enjoyment which is available at the playlist located at the right hand side of the blog. These are few of the timeless standards that we have enjoyed through the decades. Enjoy these classic standards in the smooth and easy jazz tradition by the great singers and jazz musicians from the past and present generations. This is for everybody but especially for some of our friends here in this blog who enjoy this kind of music. I know a lot of you can relate to this music particularly our kababayans out there who are now retirees. I hope that this music would somehow counters the effect of the rigors and routines of everyday life that we all go through. Take good care.

• lv on July 11, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi Manong Polon and Manang Emily. Hope that you are enjoying the music. I would also like to mention our kababayans who are US military retirees. I know there are a lot of you down there in Southern California – Manong Ron, Renato , Nick, Quintin, Milio and among others and also Manong Romeo who is always there for the Tagudin community. Enjoy the playlist.

• Apolonio L. Villanueva III on July 16, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Thank you Larry for the latest smooth and easy jazz playlist – they are indeed timeless and encompass those times of our adolescence – evoking lots of fondest memories. Thank you ading for the listening pleasure.

• lv on July 18, 2015 Permalink | Reply

You are welcome Manong Polon. Good to hear from you.

• lv on July 2, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

Basic Ilocano Course being offered at University Of Hawaii 

There are a lot of Ilocanos living in the island paradise of Hawaii but a lot of them do not speak Ilocano. For Filipinos with Ilocano roots particularly from the second or third generation Ilocanos in Hawaii who could not speak Ilocano and would like to learn the dialect, this course being offered at University of Hawaii could be a good opportunity for you to learn the Ilocano dialect.

Article Source: The Philippine Daily Inquirer

University of Hawaii offers basic Ilocano course
    INQUIRER.net U.S. Bureau
    01:13 AM July 3rd, 2015

University of Hawaii – West Oahu

HONOLULU — The University of Hawaii–West Oahu will offer a new Ilokano 101 course beginning in the Fall 2015 semester.
    This introductory course is meant to increase reading comprehension, develop linguistic skills in Ilocano and promote the appreciation and awareness of the Filipino culture.
    “We are excited to be able to offer our first Ilocano language class, which will provide many of our students with an opportunity to deepen their connections to their family heritage and ethnic homeland,” says Dr. Alan Rosenfeld, UH-West Oahu Humanities Division Chair and associate professor of history.

“In addition to our current offerings of language classes in Hawaiian and Samoan, this Ilocano class demonstrates our desire to serve the interests of the greater Leeward Oahu community and create a more welcoming campus environment.”

Students from other UH campuses are encouraged to take Ilokano 101 at UH-West Oahu, which has the highest population of Filipino students of all the four-year UH campuses with more than 20 percent of students identifying themselves as Filipino.

UH-West Oahu serves approximately 2,700 students at its brand new, state-of-the-art campus in Kapoei that opened in 2012. It is one of three UH campuses currently offering Ilocano language courses. Ilokano 101 will be taught Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 11 a.m to 12:20 p.m.

Read more: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/125487/university-of-hawaii-offers-basic-ilocano-course#ixzz3el8PP3JD
    Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

• lv on July 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

Happy Fourth of July
    July 4, 2015 

To all our kababayans living in the United States of America, happy Fourth of July.
    Have a safe trip wherever you are heading this Fourth of July weekend.
    Please don’t drink and drive.
    Take care.

c
Compose new post
j
Next post/Next comment
k
Previous post/Previous comment
r
e
Edit
o