Updates from January, 2015 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

• lv on January 30, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

Naragsak nga panagtitinubong! 

They make tinubong in Tagudin usually during the last part of January. It is a tradition for the folks in Tagudin to make tinubong to serve as an offering to the lord as thanksgiving for good and bountiful harvests during the year. I believe this Ilocano tradition is also being practiced in other towns and provinces of the Ilocos region. Nowadays, tinubong is available throughout the year at markets particulary in places where there are a lot of tourists such as the city of Vigan. Enjoy the tinubong!

Image source: http://www.pinoyrkb.com/ricerecipe/Tinubong.html

Tinubong recipe from youtube

TAGUDIN HIGH SCHOOL ALUMNI ASSOCIATION INT’L – REUNION 2016 

To all members of the Tagudin High School Alumni Association Int’l.,

It has been almost seven years since we had our first alumni reunion. The event was a success and it’s time to have another one.

On January 24, 2015, the members of the THS Alumni Core Team, the same dedicated people who orchestrated the first reunion in 2008, have met in San Diego, California, to discuss the centennial celebration of the Tagudin High School. Thus, we are happy to announce that we will have a celebration in the US.

Date: July 8,9 & 10, 2016 (Friday thru Sunday)
    Venue: The Orleans, Las Vegas NV

As in the previous one, the event is not exclusive within the alumni of the Tagudin High School. ALL ARE WELCOME TO JOIN.

Please stay tuned for more details. In the meantime, we would encourage you to start contacting your classmates now as well as everyone you know.

Please feel free to reach me if you have questions.

Thank you.

Eufemia Dauz-Fonacier
    On behalf of the THS Alumni Int’l Core Team
    edfonacier@comcast.net

Thank you THS Alumni Int’l Core Team. It is sad that my late mother who was a THS alumni won’t be able to attend the grand reunion in Las Vegas but I know wherever she is right now she is wishing her fellow alumnus a wonderful and successful reunion in 2016.

• Eufemia on January 31, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hello Larry, you can continue your mom’s legacy with your participation during the reunion. In the meantime, the alumni is grateful for Seaside for its continuing support to the organization. Thank you. \\Manang Fem

• lv on February 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi Manang Fem, I will always be supportive to the organization. Most of my classmates in Las-ud also went to THS/TGCHS. Thank you.

• lv on January 20, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

P1.4 billion for the province of Ilocos Sur 

Ilocos Sur gets P1.4B from sin taxes
    January 18, 2015 9:25 pm

by LEANDER C. DOMINGO

NARVACAN, Ilocos Sur: The Provincial Government here is set to receive P1.4 billion in excise taxes this year, according to National Tobacco Administration (NTA) Administrador Edgardo Zaragoza.

He said Ilocos Sur will receive a P700-million share in the said excise tax this year in accordance with Republic Act 7171 also known as Tobacco Excise Tax. Ilocos Norte, La Union and Abra provinces will also get their respective shares based on their production of virginia tobacco.

Zaragosa noted though that the release of the funds for the Ilocos Region was delayed because of the legal issues surrounding the use of funds from sin taxes. He added that the issue is now being looked into by Malacañang.

Zaragoza, a former mayor of Narvacan town, also said that the new Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of RA7171 has to be implemented to closely monitor and correctly audit projects on agriculture in the region.

“The administration is very cautious (in releasing the funds) as a result of Supreme Court’s decision declaring the unconstitutionality of pork barrel or DAP funds,” Zaragoza said.

He also urged local government units to strictly follow the new guidelines in the IRR, which lays the rules in the implementation of projects funded under RA7171.

Zaragoza asked tobacco planters to stick to the best agricultural practices as designed by the government’s agricultural technicians to produce quality tobacco products that can compete in the world market.

Last year, the production of quality tobacco was severely affected by the El Niño phenomenon as well as other agricultural products like corn and rice.

“We expect that the implementation of the new IRR has also with it the funds for irrigation projects to augment the supply of water during the dry spell,” Zaragoza added.

• taga Ilocos Sur on January 20, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Wow! That is a lot of money for our province. I hope this fund will go for a good use that would benefit all the people and towns of Ilocos Sur including the town of Tagudin. This money could be use for the improvement of the infrastructures in the province. We need to build more and improve our infrastructures in order for the province to be competitive. We badly need help in this area.

• lv on January 16, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

Welcome Pope Francis to the Philippines 

Image Credit Goes to the Owner
    Source:tinypic.com

• pinoy on January 16, 2015 Permalink | Reply

In his speeches, Pope is urging Filipinos to reject any form of corruption. He is aware that corruption plays a big part why Filipinos suffer too much poverty in the Philippines. It is ironic that on TV we see these big time politicians who are corrupt kissing the hand of the pope. Hindi na lang sana umeksena ang mga taong ito para di nagalit ang mga tao at netizens. Thank you Pope Francis for blessing our country. Have a great stay.

• lv on January 18, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Sea of Faith in the Philippines
      Around 6 million Filipinos braved the rain to go see Pope Francis and to attend the mass at Rizal Park in Manila, January 18, 2015

• lv on January 15, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

Balut 

The most loved delicacies in the Philippines. If you mention balut or duck embryo, the Philippines comes to mind but actually, they also have balut in other countries in Asia especially Southeast Asia. Its name might not be called balut in those other Asian countries but it is pretty much the same as what they have in the Philippines. However, it is very popular in the Philippines. It is being sold on the street and in markets all over the Philippines and it is readily available. A lot of people particularly first timers get grossed out at the first glance of this exotic delicacy but it is actually taste almost just like any other boiled egg. Balut is a good source of protein but it does have high cholesterol content so eat in moderation if you have high cholesterol level. It is best eaten with a pinch of salt and bottle of cold San Miquel beer. A lot of people in the Philippines also also dip the balut in a vinegar with chili, onion and garlic when eating it. Bona Appetit!

• lv on January 11, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

Here is more regarding Quiapo from the post below 

Viva Señor! Viva Señor!

Source:Reuters/Erik De Castro

Source: GMA Network News/Danny Pata
    Feast of the Black Nazarene, January 9, 2015

The Feast of Black Nazarene is a phenomenon that happens every year on the 9th of January in the Quiapo District of Manila. Millions of barefooted devotees joins the procession which starts in Quiapo and goes through the street of Manila to Luneta/Rizal Park and then back to Quiapo. The life size statue of Jesus Christ carrying the cross is believed to be miraculous. It is housed at the Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo.

• Paul L. Villanueva of Chicago on January 11, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Pope Francis our pontiff, who is scheduled to arrive in the country the Philippines on January 15, is expected to draw millions of Filipinos as he visits Metro Manila and Leyte during his five-day mission.
      If you get the chance, make it a point to deviate from your “well planned” agenda and visit a slum area—don’t worry there are a lot of them in Metro Manila so you shouldn’t have any problem finding one. Go into their humble dwellings. Take in all the squalor that these poor souls are forced to live in every day of their lives. When you return to the Vatican, go back and reassess the church’s stand against contraceptives.Thank you very much and enjoy your visit to my poor country due to some corrupted politicians that run the Country where I was born. ( Las-ud, Tagudin, Ilocos Sur, Philippines).

• Paul L. Villanueva of Chicago on January 15, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Paul Villanueva Sr Maybe I should not blame the catholic church or the Pope for the Philippines out of control population growth? The culprit is the corrupt politicians that run the country who could pass the law that could put a break on the spiraling population. A no child law maybe a solution; China has one child law that’s working. Civil government are more effective deterrents and the Pope to stop the speeding bullet of reproduction. In the Philippines, civil law is obeyed more than Divine Law. The economic sufferings of the citizens of the Philippines did not find their root cause from spiritual or religious beliefs as Christians but from the economic and political mishandling of the affairs of government.

• anonymous on January 16, 2015 Permalink | Reply

I agree with you about the corruption in the Philippines Mr. Villanueva. I believe that you still care about the country where you were born since you seem to be active in the Filipino communities in the U.S. . One thing that maybe you can do Mr. Villanueva is perhaps to persuade/rally the Filipino community where you belong to help lobby for the passage of the FOI Bill (Freedom of Iinformattion Bill) and the Anti-Dynasty Bill that are pending for the longest time in the Philippine Congress. These bills will definitely help in eliminating corruption in the Philippines. They are long overdue and it is really about time for these two bills to be passed especially now that corruption is more rampant than ever before in this country. During the time of Marcos, it was just Marcos himself and his cronies who were stealing money from the people’s money but now everybody is doing it. These people in the Philippine Congress are not doing anything to pass these anti-corruption bills and we all know why.

• Paul L. Villanueva of Chicago on January 25, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Awan nga pulos ti babaen yo nga makisarsarita cadatao ta apay nga agusar kayo pay ketdi ti sabsabali nga nagan. Why can you use your own name so I will respect you more.
          We could still reduce the level of corruption by strengthening our judicial system which goes all the way to the lowest paid arresting police officers to the highest paid judges and justices and ignoring their rank or social status of offenders.

• sdlfjasljfljf on January 26, 2015 Permalink | Reply

The problem is Mr. Villanueva, the judges are just as corrupt as the crocodiles in the Philippine congress.

• lv on January 10, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

Quiapo, Manila 

Recent Photos Taken in Quiapo, Manila

CLICK TO SEE THE REST OF THE PHOTOS TAKEN IN QUIAPO

Quiapo is definitely the heart and soul of Manila. It is not the high end Makati, The Fort or the Ortigas District of Metro Manila but there is no doubt that Quiapo is still attracting a lot of people not only Manileños but also Filipinos from all over the Philippines because everything is here in this one district of Manila. Since the old days people have been coming here to shop, dine, go to school in one of the many universities in and around Quiapo, get entertained, attend mass, or just walk around to see what is new or to enjoy the sights and bustles of the place.

Like its counterparts in the Metro – Divisoria and Baclaran, it is a bargain paradise for shoppers. That is one of the main reasons why people flock to Quiapo in droves. I go to the market here myself. The place has great selections of produce which are always fresh and cheaper than in the other markets in Manila. Quiapo is also where you find Philippine herbs both for cooking and for medicinal purposes. I also like the many stores that sell electronic gadgets around the area. The locals call this part of Quiapo where they sell electronic gadgets Raon. It is situated between Recto Avenue and the Quiapo Church. If you are shopping around for TV’s, speakers, stereo equipment, etc., check Quiapo out first before going elsewhere for chances are you’ll find what you are looking for at a much cheaper price plus the fact that you can bargain here. If you are into photography, there is a street here which mainly sells anything related to photography. It is at Hidalgo Street which is just few meters away from the front of the church. There are also a lot of stores selling Philippine handicrafts and other Philippine made products. The religious items such as statues of saints, candles, etc. are found at the premises outside the church. The handicraft stalls are located under the Quezon Bridge which the locals call as “Ilalim Ng Tulay”.

Though it is illegal, any form of document such as a diploma, ID, etc. can be easily made here in Quiapo as well. Just go to Recto or Avenida (Rizal Avenue). There’s a lot of this kind of establishment there which the locals refer to as University of Recto. Speaking of illegal items, counterfeit goods such as CD’s, bags, and what have you abound here and they are being sold at dirt cheap prices.

Other than being known as a bargain shopping destination, Quiapo is also known as a place where rallies are held, and where people go for religious activities. The place played a big part in shaping up the political scene in the country. It was here in Quiapo at Plaza Miranda in front of the church where they had big political rallies particularly during the pre-Martial Law era in the 1970’s. The Quiapo Church is the home of the Feast of Black Nazarene where millions of devotees attend every year during the month of January.

Going to Quipo is not very difficult since it is at the center of Metro Manila. It is accessible by jeepneys, buses, taxis/FX miini-vans that you can take from almost anywhere in the Metro and by the LRT – the elevated train system. The LRT stop is called Carriedo.

The main drawback about Quiapo is it is very crowded which make it a perfect place for pickpockets to do their tricks on unknowing victims so be very careful when going to Quiapo especially during the holiday season when people are shoulder to shoulder. Don’t wear your expensive jewelries so you won’t become a target of these criminals. Leave your valuables at home. Other than that, it is a fun, colorful and a very interesting place.

Personally, I would rather go here than go to the many malls in Metro Manila. I was happy to see the recent improvements they did to the old underspass across the church. It is now much cleaner and brighter with more lights and also being manned by security guards. I just hope that the city government of Manila would do a lot more in improving the place and making it less chaotic.

Hopefully sometime in the future when I get a chance, I would be able to post a more complete photos of the Quiapo District of Manila here in this blog

• lv on January 3, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

Ma Mon Luk Noodle House, Quiapo, Manila 

It is nice that this old Ma Mon Luk restaurant located at the Raon area in Quiapo is still around and it is being patronized by Manileños. The restaurant is not far from the Quiapo Church on Quezon Avenue. After many decades of serving many hungry people, the restaurant might now be showing its true age but its noodle soup we all know as mami has not changed a bit. It remains as good as when it was first introduced at one of the Ma Mon Luk restaurants. There use to be a few Ma Mon Luck restaurants but dwindled to just two in the last couple of years. The restaurant still uses the same recipe that its original owner Ma Mon Luk concocted for his restaurants in the earlier part of this century. Ma Mon Luk was an immigrant from one of the provinces in mainland China. The word mami which is now being used to describe noodles in the Philippines came from the Ma Mon Luk restaurants. Though the restaurant has lost some of its luster due to competition from other restaurants and perhaps due to changing trends through the years, it is still a good place to go to if you are craving for a bowl of noodle soup while you are in Quiapo. There is nothing fancy about the restaurant but I do love the ceiling fans. They give good ambiance to the place. You feel like eating in a restaurant from the 1950’s or 1960’s. Besides mami, the restaurant also serves delicious siopao or pork bun with Asado sauce. The prices are reasonable and the portion sizes are good. Their regular mami is 95 pesos while their special mami and beef mami cost 105 and 115 pesos respectively. The special mami with the strips of chicken meat is good but I do like the beef mami the best. It is a little spicy with a bit of sweet flavor in it. The restaurant keeps running out of beef mami though so be ready to get disappointed if you go there and they don’t have beef mami. I think the other Ma Mon Luk restaurant is located somewhere in Quezon City.

c
Compose new post
j
Next post/Next comment
k
Previous post/Previous comment
r
e
Edit
o
Show/Hide comments
t