Updates from October, 2014 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

• lv on October 31, 2014 Permalink | Reply  

Vigan for the New Seven Wonder Cities of the World
    Voting Deadline Dec. 7, 2014 

The deadline for voting for the New Seven Wonder Cities of the World is December 7. Once again, please vote for Vigan – the only entry for the Philippines in this contest. Vigan needs your support like you did with the Subterranean River in Palawan for the New Seven Wonder Of Nature contest in order for it to be included in the list. This would be a great thing for the Ilocos region and for the entire country. Look what happened to Palawan. It was voted as the best island in the world by the prestigious and popular magazine Conde Nast Traveler this year and I am sure the inclusion of the Subterranean River in Palawan to the New Seven Wonder of Nature list has something to do with it. It put Palawan on the map. Now Palawan is being noticed by travelers and tourists alike. Palawan does deserve to be called the Best Island in the World though even if the contest did help in catapulting Palawan to the top.

El Nido, Palawan

Even Senator Bongbong Marcos from Ilocos Norte is urging everyone especially the Ilocanos to vote for Vigan because if Vigan gets included in the list he knows what it would do to the economy especially for the Ilocos region. It would be a tremendous boast to both the local and national tourism industry.

Senator Bongbong Marcos

Here is the the New Seven Wonder Cities of the Word site where you can cast your vote: https://www.new7wonders.com/en/cities

Photo Credit goes to the owners of the images.

• Tagudinian on October 31, 2014 Permalink | Reply

Bongbong running for the 2016 Presidential elections??? If he is, I’d rather be voting for him than the current presidential line ups in the likes of Roxas, Binay, Trillanaes, Cayetano and others. These are all either corrupt politicians or belong to political dynasty families. His parents might had committed mistakes in the past such as the corruption issue which is still haunting his family to this time but at least with Bongbong, he is not corrupt or at least not as bad as these current presidential aspirants. I am sure he has learned his lesson from the mistakes of his parents. There is actually no choice in 2016. Sadly, it will be the same old politicians who will be running the country. We need new faces. It is time to get rid of these trapos. Where are all the brilliant Filipinos who are not thieves out there????

• Paul L. Villanueva of Chicago on November 3, 2014 Permalink | Reply

You are a coward ignorant moron hiding behind a fictitious name. Do you think all Tagudinians like your posting. You are the lowest of the scum on this planet. Your right to speech should be denied because you can’t say anything worth hearing.

• Tagudinian met on November 3, 2014 Permalink | Reply

The poster is just expressing his/her point of view. He/she is not involving you so no need for the profanity and besides a lot of people might be agreeable to what he/she is trying to say. Ania ka metten apo Paul. Be nice.

• pinoy on November 3, 2014 Permalink | Reply

There are actually a lot of brilliant Filipinos out there who could lead the country but the problem is they don’t have the money to run a campaign so these traditional politicians who are rich will continue to run the country. Pera pera lang yan.

• anonymous on November 3, 2014 Permalink | Reply

Uray no datay kalaingan nga pinoy kunam man no agtatakaw to met laeng saan laengen apo.

• Romeo J. Somera, Esq.,CPA on November 4, 2014 Permalink | Reply

I tend to agree with you with the premise that there will be no other candidates but for those whom you mentioned. Though he is not as smart as his father, Bongbong could be a good president if he will make his best effort to surround him with intelligent and experienced advisers [compared to those who were advising him when he was Ilocos Norte Governor ( I would have grade them C m minus or pasang awa)]. Roxas is inutile. Look at how he handled pre-Yolanda, during and the aftermath. The best way to describe it was he created a disaster after a disaster. For example of the lingering effects of his disastrous decision-making. To date, there are only 100 houses built to what is supposed to be, by now, 10,500; disaster. Had Noynoy allowed him to continue his handling of the recover, more people would have been dead long after Yolanda. Thank God Lacson is there (but I will not endorse or vote for him for President). Trillaness and Cayetano? After seeing,and reading what they have lately been doing, they don’t even deserve to be elected dog catchers. These are not only trapo but number one hypocrites. As to Binay, by 2016, he might not become unelectable considering all the baggages that he has, the smears of which even if proven to be false, it could become too late for him to recover. Binay is a good example of starting at the bottom and made it big but the nagging question is, is he as chaste as he claims to be. Gibo and Gordon are quite smart, capable and experinced. You want a proven crime fighter? Look at Duterte and Hagedorn. These 4 are not trapos either. And how about Miriam, but then she has too many political enemies that if elected she will just wind up defending herself from them. Grace Poe? Maybe in 2022. Bottom line is, 2016 is a little bit far yet. Who knows, somewhere out of the blue a new “Ramon Magsasay” may emerge. A down to earth person that would run the Executive Office the way the masses want it to be: simple, practical, compassionate (not the type of highfalutin economic formulas and complicated gizmos only PHDs in Economics and Finance could decipher and understand), devoid of graft and corruption with an intense crusade (coupled with action not just words) to get rid of criminality.

• President, Emeritus, SASAI on November 1, 2014 Permalink | Reply

Just imagine folks, if Vigan is voted in as one of the seven wonder cities, those that will visit to Vigan, particularly those by group that travel in caravan, buses, private vehicles and other types of land transportation, the first town they’ll see and come across will be Tagudin. We can then entice these tourists to come visit and have a photo session beside the first ever built sundial in our country. Economic booster, definitely. Rumang-ay tayo apo aglalo daguitay taga Bio ken Libtong and also ou souvenirs shop ti uneg ti ili. So what are you waiting for? Please cast your vote. I did it already and I even gave you the site earlier at the is MB, how and where to vote. Thank you. As to Bongbong, he has the experience being a past Governor, and now a Senator. Another alternateive, if he is going to run would be Gibo Teodoro “Gilbert Teodoro, Jr. He is very smart and intelligent and an Ilocano to boot. A former 3 termer Congressman from Tarlac (born in Isabela), has a Busdiness Degree, UP Law graduate and bar topnotcher (1st), a Harvard Master of Law Graduate, and the youngest Sec. of DND ever. If you are interested to know more about him, here is a website: Gilbert ‘Gibo’ Teodoro, Jr. for President 2016 Movement

• Romeo J. Somera, Esq.,CPA on November 1, 2014 Permalink | Reply

I encourage everyone to vote for Vigan, particularly my cailians. Earlier in this MB, I provided the site where you can cast your vote as I did. Imagine the economic benefits and exposures Tagudin will get out of it. If tourists go and visit by land transportation to Vigan as one of the seven wonder cities of the world, the first town in Ilocos Sur they will encounter will be Tagudin. These tourist then can be invited to visit and do some photo ops on the first sundial ever built in the Philippines. I can juist dream of all of these tourist stopping by Bio and Libtong for food and refreshments. Some might even spend a day or two after finding out suffcient lodging places like Seaside and BFI. As to Bongbong, he is well qualified to be a President being an incumbent senator and former governor. If others have some doubts, an alternative would be Gilbert “Gibo” Teodoro, Jr. Young, very smart with plenty of experience in businesss, banking, politics and government. He has a business degree, UP law graduate, bar topnotcher (1st), and has a Master of Laws from Harvard. He is a three termer Congressman and the youngest Sec. of DND ever. Besides, he is an Ilocano (born in Isabela and Congressman from Tarlac’s 3rd District). For more information about him, try this website: https://www.Gilbert-Gibo-Teodoro-Jr-for-President-2016-Movement. Just an administrative note Mr. MB. This is my 2nd posting. I don’t know what happened to the first one. It was noted that it was for moderation but disappeared. If it was censored because of the contents, please let me know which so I can avoid such in my next posting.

• lv on November 1, 2014 Permalink | Reply

Atty., I agree with Bongbong Marcos or Gilbert “Gibo” Teodoro,Jr. for president. Either one of them would be a good president of the Republic of the PHilippines. I think former Senator Richard Gordon if he is running could also be a good alternative.

• lv on October 28, 2014 Permalink | Reply  

Remembering our dearly departed loved ones
    All Souls’ Day 2014 

Have a good All Souls’ Day
    and
    Happy Halloween everyone.

• lv on October 25, 2014 Permalink | Reply  

Tagudinian Assoc. of So. Cal. Pre-New Year's Celebration 2015 

• lv on October 21, 2014 Permalink | Reply  

A Panoramic View of the Town of Tagudin, in Bakun, Benquet? 

Did you know that there is a panoramic view of Tagudin in the province of Benquet? You can easily view an awesome view of Tagudin in the town itself through Sitio Alog in Barangay Pallogan but according to various sources in the Internet, a panoramic view of the town of Tagudin can also be seen at Mt. Lubo in Bakun, Benquet. It might not be as clear as the view you would see in Sitio Alog particularly on a foggy or a rainy day day but it could be interesting to see a panoramic view of our town from a higher elevation especially from the Philippines’ beautiful Cordillera Mountain Ranges. If you are brave and adventurous and into mountaineering, hiking or spelunking (caving), going to Bakun could be a worthwhile experience because the town offers places where you can enjoy this kind of activities. The good thing if you live in Tagudin or if you are just someone visiting Tagudin and would want to go and explore more of the surrounding areas, Bakun could be accessed from the town of Tagudin through the Tagudin-Suyo-Cervantes-Mankayan Road, and my guess is there are alternate routes that one can take to go up there. These other routes could be short-cut roads but more likely these roads are unpaved and a little bit more challenging to navigate however. Consult with someone who is familiar with the area before starting any trip to be on the safe side. I am sure a lot of the locals would know regarding the road conditions and the other possible routes. The Internet could also be a good place to gather information about the area. Even though the distance between Bakun and Tagudin appears close on the map, be aware that it would take few hours before one can get to Bakun from Tagudin because of the zigzagging roads. Bakun is actually at the top of the town of Alilem which is close to Tagudin, and few of the tributeries of the Amburayan River that flow through Tagudin originate at the mountain ranges of Bakun.

Here is an article and some info regarding Bakun, Benquet.

Bakun opens tourists’ cave

By Dexter A. See | Oct. 18, 2014 at 12:01am

BAKUN, Benguet—An unexplored cave in this part of the Cordillera mountain ranges where Japanese soldiers hid during World War II will open to the public today as the newest attraction for spelunking adventurers and nature lovers, a municipal tourism officer said.

Arthur Tolito, municipal tourism officer, said the Nagasa cave with its stalactite and stalagmite formations has been a home for bats and swallows but supervised trips and explorations.

”Japanese soldiers sought refuge in the area during World War II. The area is remote,” Tolito said.

The cave, which is located deep into Mount Lubo, can be reached after three hours of walking but a short-cut can cut the trek by half. Mt. Lubo, a mossy forest, offers a panoramic view of Bakun, Buguias, Mankayan, Mt. Province and Tagudin, Ilocos Sur.

Spelunking or cave exploration is usually done for fun and recreation but it has cultural and scientific value because it lead to discovery of unknown animals. For safety reasons the activity is done in groups and, usually, in caves that have been already mapped.

Tolito said Kankana-ey tribal elders will be performing the traditional canao, an indigenous ritual for good luck, and black pigs will be butchered and offered to the gods , before the caves will be opened to the public.

He said about 200 tourist guides were trained to accompany cave explorers and the government has built railings at the cave entrance and other devices inside the cave for use of spelunkers.

Bakun Councilor Marshal Tamid-ay, chairman of the committee on environment , said spelunkers will be properly briefed to prevent littering and destruction of rock formations and nest of swallows.

“We want to ensure that environmental protection and conservation will not be compromised,” Tamid-ay said.

Nagasa was the second cave in the area to be opened to the public. Bakun also hosts the Kabunian Caves, a popular site for spelunking and rappelling activities.

There are about a dozen caves in the different parts of the region frequented by spelunkers. The most popular are the Sumaging and Lumyang caves in Sagada, Mountain Province; the Ambungdulan and Paterno caves in Tublay, Benguet; and several others in Lagawe, Ifugao, Abra, Kalinga and Apayao.

Source: The Manila Standard

A Map Showing Bakun Benquet and Surrounding Areas
    Map by Google

Hiking in Bakun, Benquet
    Mt. Lubo, Mt. Tenglawan, and Mt. Kabunian
    From youtube.com

• lv on October 16, 2014 Permalink | Reply  

E-Jeepney 

Are we finally replacing “The King of The Road” with this new modern version of the Jeepney called COMET???

When it comes to infrastructure and transportation in Asia, it is a fact that the Philippines lags behind its neighbors. It is a shame because year in and year out our country is actually generating income which is enough to support some of our needs but unfortunately a big part of the income ends up in the pockets of these unscrupulous politicians who are running our country. These monies could have been spent in improving our infrastructures and our transportation system. In order for us to compete with the rest of the world and for us to have the best infrastructures and transportation system that each and everyone of us deserve as citizens of this country the Philippines, I think we need to improve our infrastructures and our transportation system. This could be a very difficult and daunting endeavor but I believe it can be done if we all work together. Corruption is obviously a problem and a big hindrance to our progress. It is already ingrained in our culture and it is almost impossible to eradicate it but one of the things that we can do to fight this menace is maybe for us to create a mechanism of some sort that would deter people from stealing money from our country’s coffer such as passing the anti-corruption bills that are pending in congress – F.O.I. Bill (Freedom of Information Bill) , the Anti-Dynasty Bill, and among others. Punishing these crooks and thieves in the government and voting wisely when we elect our leaders could also make a big difference.

Many of our roads in the Philippines are in a very sorry state. Even newly paved roads especially in the provinces end up being useless because these roads do not last long due to the sub-standard labor and materials that are being used for the projects. In addition, these roads do not conform to international standards almost all the time. I do think that there is a need for the government to inspect all finished infrastructure projects and for the contractors to provide guarantees/warranties for all the work that they do regardless how small or how big the projects are to ensure that the finished projects would be safe and would last for awhile and most importantly to ensure that monies intended solely for projects would not end up in some people’s pockets.

The effect of having inadequate and poorly maintained roads and transportation system (if there is a system) in our country is a traffic that never ends. There is always traffic just about any time and any place now in the entire Metro Manila area. It is also a big problem in the other cities and towns all over the Philippines. The horrendous traffic, the “kotong cops”, hot tempered drivers, the drivers and pedestrians who do no follow traffic rules, street vendors, persistent beggars, flooding, etc. make driving in Manila a big challenge for a lot of people especially foreigners. When I am in Manila, I prefer taking the public transportation because I sometimes lose my calm when I drive there. I’ve learned that taking the public transportation is less hassle and a safer option for me. Until there is a solution to the country’s traffic woes, commuters, travelers, and motorists will continue to suffer everyday. The country will also continue to lose income because of the loss of productivity due to the traffic problem.

The good thing is the government finally realizes that we have a very serious traffic problem. Albeit slowly, they (the government) are now trying to find solutions to this perennial traffic problem. Actually , some of the projects they said that could alleviate the traffic congestion in Metro Manila have broken grounds such as the NLEX (North Luzon Expressway) and SLEX (South Luzon Expressway) Connector Project which would cut across Metro Manila connecting the two expressways and the NAIA Expressway that would go to all the airport terminals and to The Entertainment City that is presently rising along Manila Bay. The other projects that are in the planning stages are the rail extensions of LRT1 to Cavite and LRT2 to Antipolo, and the new MRT7 line that would run from Quezon City to Bulacan. However, knowing how things move in the Philippines, these projects will not be finished anytime soon. There is a possibility that some of these projects might not even materialize so expect for more traffic for the time being.

Lastly, some of you might not agree with me but I think the Jeepneys have to go. It is really about time for the Philippines to modernize its mass transportation system. We deserve an efficient system that is more safe, more reliable, and more comfortable than our current mode of transportation. The Philippine could be one of the last few countries on the planet with a very antiquated transportation system. Manila used to have a trolley system similar to the ones they have in Europe and the U.S. but that was abandoned only to be replaced by a very chaotic system called the Jeepneys. I wish they kept and maintained the trolley system because I think it is a much better system. The Jeepney is one of our country’s symbol but the Jeepneys are also polluting the air we breath and no doubt one of the main reasons why we have so much congestion on our road networks. That is why when the news about the E-Jeepneys starting to ply its first initial route in Quezon City came out a few weeks ago, almost everyone got excited because the possible replacement for the Jeepney system has finally arrived. The E-Jeepney and the old Jeepney are almost about the same size but there is no doubt that the E-Jeepney is the better and more appropriate PUV (public utility vehicle) for the Philippines in this day and age. Unlike the old Jeepney, E-Jeepney only stops at designated areas and there is no more cash being involved for the fare. Just tap the prepaid card that you bought from the station or at a kiosk at the entrance upon entering and leaving the vehicle. Inside the E-Jeepney, visibility is good and it is comfortable unlike the inside of the old Jeepney. You can actually stand up inside the E-Jeepney. The E-Jeepney runs without you hearing any noise and since it runs using a rechargeable battery, there is no emission which make this vehicle a more environment friendly than the old Jeepney hands down. Another advantage of this new system is the drivers are now being paid on salary basis complete with benefits instead of what they called boundary system where the driver has to pay the owner of the Jeepney certain amount called boundary and whatever amount the driver makes in excess of the boundary would be the driver’s income. The boundary system is actually the reason why Jeepney drivers compete with each other for passengers while on the road. They have to be more aggressive so they can have as many passengers as they can possibly pick up to make up for the boundary, and this is the reason why Jeepneys generate so much traffic jams in any city or town in the Philippines.

I hope that this E-Jeepney venture would thrive so it will eventually replace the outdated Jeepney system in the country.

• lv on October 20, 2014 Permalink | Reply

There should be dedicated lines for all the e-jeepneys otherwise if they would let these e-jeepneys compete on the same routes where the old jeepneys ply, we will end up having more traffic. It will need a very careful and smart planning by the folks in charge of the country’s transportation system in order for this e-jeepney system to work and so it will not become just another hype.

• lv on October 12, 2014 Permalink | Reply  

Playlist 

I have gathered some tunes from the Broadway musicals and the movies and just some great songs from the past sung by some of the greatest crooners in the music industry. You can listen to the music at the playlist of this blog. I know a lot of you who visit this blog do like this kind of music so I hope you enjoy the selections that I prepared just for you.

If you have any request, you can post it below. I will be more than happy to play it for you.

Take care and enjoy.

dj

• lv on October 16, 2014 Permalink | Reply

It is a shame that they don’t make music like they used to make music in the old days. These songs are beautiful and very relaxing to listen to. There used to be a few stations playing this kind of music in the San Francisco Bay Area but most of them went off the air. At least in the Philippines particularly the Manila area still has some stations in both the AM and FM bands playing old songs like the ones in the playlist. In fact, the music that was being played in one of the stations while I was driving back to Tagudin from Manila a few months ago inspired me to put together the playlist for you. I believe the oldies station that I was listening to was on the AM band. It is actually based in Manila but I was able to hear the station until it finally faded away in Rosario, La Union.

• lv on October 8, 2014 Permalink | Reply
    Tags: Ilocos Sur, New Seven Wonder Cities, Vigan City   

Vigan City made it to the top 14 in the New Seven Wonder Cities race! In order for Vigan to be included in the New Seven Wonder Cities, it will need your support once more. Please vote for Vigan. 

Vigan among 14 finalists in new 7 wonder cities race
    Nestor Corrales @NCorralesINQ
    INQUIRER.net
    3:58 PM | Wednesday, October 8th, 2014

THE HERITAGE VILLAGE in Vigan City remains busy at nightas tourists enjoy walking on its cobblestone streets and ride in calesa (horse-drawn carriages) that ply the city famous for its rich culture and Spanish-era mansions. LEONCIO BALBIN JR.

MANILA, Philippines — Vigan City, a Unesco World Heritage Site, has made it to the top 14 of the international search for New 7 Wonders-Cities of the World.
    The New7Wonders announced on its website (world.new7wonders.com) that Vigan City has made it to the next round of the worldwide campaign.

The 14 finalists in no particular order are:

Barcelona (Spain)
    Beirut (Lebanon)
    Chicago (United States)
    Doha (Qatar)
    Durban (South Africa)
    Havana (Cuba)
    Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    La Paz (Bolivia)
    London (United Kingdom)
    Mexico City (Mexico)
    Perth (Australia)
    Quito (Ecuador)
    Reykjavik (Iceland)
    Vigan (Philippines)

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) has urged Filipinos to vote for the heritage city of Vigan. Public may vote online via new7wonders.com. The top seven cities will be announced on December 7.

Vigan City, the capital of Ilocos Sur, and dubbed as the best-preserved example of a planned Spanish colonial town in Asia, was named a World Heritage Site by the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization in 1999. It is one of the six Unesco World Heritage Sites in the Philippines.

Read more: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/112216/vigan-among-14-finalists-in-new-7-wonder-cities-race#ixzz3FZnKoYGY
    Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

• President, Emeritus, SASAI on October 8, 2014 Permalink | Reply

I just voted. I enjoined all Filipinos here and abroad to vote for Vigan as one of the New7Wonders Cities of the world. It is our honor and pride. Thank you:

To vote for Vigan, log in at http://www.new7wonders.com/en/cities and select the City of Vigan, or text VIGAN to 29290777.

• Tagudinian on October 12, 2014 Permalink | Reply

Isu nga ipromote tay met apo dayta sundials tayo dita Tagudin ta bareng no mayraman iti Vigan nga maysa kadagiti New Seven Wonder Cities mayranod tayo met ta no adda turista nga mapan dita Vigan bareng dumagas da met dta Tagudin ngem it is about time nga simpaen tayo metten dayta plaza tayo nga nga nakapasdekan dagitoy kadaanan nga sundials tayo. No napintas iti plaza, umadu met iti umay nga turista.

• lv on October 2, 2014 Permalink | Reply  

Another 15 year old Pinay with a great voice at The Voice 

Teenager Katriz Trinidad blows away the crowd and the coaches with her version of “At Last” on tonight’s episode of The Voice at 8/7c on NBC.

c
Compose new post
j
Next post/Next comment
k
Previous post/Previous comment
r
e
Edit
o
Show/Hide comments
t